Friday, September 9, 2011

Cerebus and I

A long, long time ago, there was a small public radio show put on by members of the Minn-Stf Minnesota science fiction group, called Shockwave. A few months after it started up, I asked if I could get involved, too. Initially I just did bit parts for the skits that were written to be performed live from the studio. Eventually, the group started doing more adaptations of favorite SF short stories, including a few of Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Saloon shows, where I was the narrator. At one point, I discovered the Cerebus the Aardvark comic just as issue 15 or 16 came out. I hit every comic store in the state to get the back issues, cleaning out the last copies anyone had of the original printings of 1, 2 and 3 (and no, I don't have them anymore). I passed them around to anyone that I could get to read them because I liked the idea so much, and eventually we decided to adapt them for the show as well, with Dave Sim's permission. Kara Dalkey produced the episodes and wrote the radio plays, and additional voices were provided by regulars Jerry Stearns, Dave Romm and Rob Hunter. We only did the first five episodes. #6 - The Secret - was a joke episode written for the opening ceremonies for Minicon, as a crossover featuring Cerebus and Dudley Do-Right.

A few weeks ago I got to thinking about all of this, and given the magic that is the tubes of the internets, tracked down stuff that I didn't even know was there. First, the Cerebus the Aardvark fan site has all 6 of the episodes for your listening pleasure in the A-V Room. There's a little teaser jpeg of Cerebus and Elrod recording the show, and I wanted a larger version of the image. So, I tracked down the Cerebus Fangirl site, which had online scans of the fan newsletter that Sim used to produce back in the day. The Cerebus-Elrod picture was on the back cover of issue #10, advertising a record that was supposed to come out with the radio episodes on it. I never knew that this was in planning, but it obviously never panned out. Sim also put together a pencil test for a lenticular animation that was intended to be printed on the record to play as it spun. I think the test looks really cool and wish it had been polished up and finished.



Direct links to the episodes:

The Flame Jewel
Captive in Boreala
Song of Red Sophia
Death's Dark Tread
The Idol
The Secret

So, why do I care about all this? I played Cerebus. Indirectly, I'm the one on the left in the above picture, but I'm a little taller that that and didn't need a stool to stand on.

No comments: